Thursday 9 April 2020

Review: Never Hollow Fantasy Terrain By The XLC



We are living in strange times at the moment but during this time the hobby community has come together and lots of companies are giving away free rules for us all to try to help pass the time.
This is also a perfect time for beginners and veteran gamers to build new gaming tables, but what if you don't like fiddly kits and don't like painting terrain.

 Well I have something for you the new Never Hollow Fantasy terrain from The XLC. 

Lets take a look...




The XLC are a laser cutting company based in Northampton who's passion is tabletop terrain and make pre printed 28mm MDF kits in Sci Fi and Fantasy styles.
As some readers my know I have reviewed another kit from The XLC before called Desecration City which you can see here if you are looking for some Sci Fi themed terrain.

In this review The XLC kindly sent over three terrain kits from their new Never Hollow Fantasy Terrain line.

The three terrain kits that I have to review for you today are a set of three cottages, two bridges and a Wizards Tower.

Each kit comes with a basic instruction page which shows you step by step how to build each kit. All kits need no clean up or preparation and just require you to use PVA glue to stick the parts together.

I started by making the two bridges.




The first step is to glue the supports to the side walls and then added the 3 slats to put both of the wall sides together to make the main shape.
After this its time to glue down the paper walk way and once this is dry I added the inner sides to complete the bridge.
Each bridge is 200mm long by 90mm wide and 45mm high.






Next I moved on to the three cottages I suggest laying out each one so you know what parts match each cottage. 





I glued the door to the inside of the wall first and lined up the picture of the door so it matched the frame.
I then glued the parts to make the chimny stack and left that to dry and moved on to glue all four walls together and added the roof. 
Once this was on I then glued the chimny into place and it was finished.
I just then repeated the same steps for the reming two cottages.

Each cottage is 100m long 85 cm high and 70mm wide.







The last kit was the Wizards Tower and again I laid out all the parts to make it easier to put together.








As this kit has two sections I started by glueing all the windows, hatches and the door and let that dry before I moved on to add the side turret to one of the sections that makes the lower half of the tower.



I made the smaller top section of the tower first making sure one of the floor panels that have the wooden texture side faced down.
Then bit by bit added the sides and the top section with the cross sections that the paper roof will sit on top of.


Next I did the same thing but for the lower section of the tower making sure the door was correctly in place where it has a little path.



Then I added the wooden supports that the smaller tower will sit on and glued the paper roof to make a cone shape and the tower was complete.
The tower stands all together at 260mm tall giving some good hight to your gaming table.

Within a few hours all the terrain was built and the glue was all dry so I put together a gaming table to show you how it looks in action.











So my thoughts...

 I have to say these kits were so easy to put tother and the results you get are fantastic.
 You can see right out of the packing that the wood is good guilty at 3mm in thickness and each piece that has printed textures looks sharp. I really like the differnt coloured windows and the cat in the window on the Wizard Tower which I think gives it some character.

The cottages are a nice size and fill out the battle filed and the bridges allow you to add rivers and crossings that may be good for a scenario or two.
The Wizard Tower is a very impressive centre piece for your table and can be a focal point for your games.
This set would be perfect for any fantasy skirmish games, D and D games or even mass battle games.  

The price for these products range from £15 for the two bridges and £15 for the three cottages and the Wizard Tower is priced at £30 which for a kit that does note need painting and can be used to play in an afternoon is competitively priced.

As I said at the top if you don't like making terrain, painting it or don't have time this is a perfect product for you as it ticks the guilty box, easy to build so you are gaming quicker and looks great on the tabletop.

 The XLC have more products in the Never Hollow Range such as a large Windmill,  A Tavern and Stone walls so if you want to add more to your terrain collection you can.

I am again impressed with these kits and look forward to see what The XLC make next.

If you are intreated in the Never Hollow range or are looking for terrain to start or add to you collection visit

No comments: