Wednesday 16 March 2022

Painting & Hobby: MDF Buldings Project

 


I have noticed in my vast terrain collection that I don't have many fantasy buildings.
 I don't know why this is the case just maybe something I just did not really think about. I have one or two prices that can fill some space but I feel I need a little more especially after playing Mordheim.

As I am on a quest not to buy anything new and paint/use what I have already in my to do pile I thought I would have a look and see what I can use to make some more buildings.


Hiding in a box that was meant to be for a zombie apocalypse game that I never got round to starting I found some cheap MDF buildings that look very square and bland.

I thought this would be a good base to try out somethings and see if I can make them look more fitting in a fantasy setting.

Once I figured out how to put these buildings together as there were no instructions I had a quick think about what I could do to make them have a bit more texture and a more fantasy feel.





I started by adding some wooden coffee stirrers around the edges of the buildings so it hides the joins and put some around the doors and windows.

Once this was dry I dapped some filler around the buildings to add texture to the walls as we as adding some sand.


Once this was dry I then primed all the buildings grey and got to work dry brushing a sandy colour and used some browns on the wood areas and went over that with a dry brush of sand and a bit of brown too.


They did not turn out too bad for an experiment and for such a boxy and plain design.

In my search for more buildings I found some more which were differnt sizes and decided to make two have roofs that were broken using more wooden coffer stirrers.




I am going to have a bit of a think on how I can improve these as the four I have made are ok and more off the to do pile which is good but I  need some more inspiration for ways to make the rest of the buildings look more interesting.

What would you do to make these buildings look more fitting in a fantasy setting?

Let me know you ideas in the comments below.


No comments: