Wednesday 9 January 2019

Hobby Resolutions 2019 Act 1

So we all do this this at the start of the year we look back at the year gone by and think what are we going to change or get better at.



During last year I did a few resolution posts to keep me on task and the last one was in October and you can have a look here

So lets have a look at whats happened between October and December and whats my next plan..




The last post was just before I visited mantic HQ for the Vanguard launch day which you can read all about this here in Part 1 and Part 2.
There is also an interview with Matt Gilbert the writer of Vanguard here.



I aimed to start a new Kings of War army which would be Ogres which are all happily built and undercoated but unfortunately I have not started to paint them yet..


I also wanted to play more games of Vanguard and I purchased a Vanguard war band at the open day which are now on the paint table also. 
I did a few unboxings of the Vanguard Terrain Crate Objectives and the miniatures of the Northern Alliance as well.


Im still waiting for Tookey to build his Nightstalkers!!

I also wanted to start to paint my undead zombies which again but this took a back seat as with most of my painting plans near the end of the year due to work and other projects going on.

Now during this time I did review Sons of Mars from Acceptable Casualties which is a great Gladiatorial game and the review for this is here.
I also did an unboxing of the Horror Box from Your Model Box and for Here's Negan 



At the tail end of November a game came up on Kickstarter that got me excited and it was Reichbusters by Mythic Games...
I did a Kickstarter Watch on this and I look forward to hopefully getting this in November!


The last thing as it was coming up to Christmas I reviewed Big Potato Games Santa Banter and Scrawl as I tried to get non gamers gaming...
How did I get on? you can have a look here


 One of my other targets was to play Shadespire now I did not get a game at the end of the year but I did at the start of 2019 so this may or may not count...I will post more about that later though.

So as you can see I have been busy but I need to really focus and get more painting and gaming sorted..


So whats the plan for the year...

Play more games!!!
Yes I need to get out and play more with my gaming group but I am also going to start trying out some more solo games which will help me learn rules to teach others but also scratch that gaming itch.. I have Here's Negan but I also got an awesome present from my Wife this Christmas which is Star Saga a Sci Fi dungeon crawler by Mantic Games which can be played solo..

Streamline gaming..
There are so many games! Its a good thing but I need to just pick a few. Self contained games like board games and some small skirmish games I think will do the trick and maybe one big large battle game this year... this will lead in to my next thing..

Keep a record of miniatures painted this year.
Last year I painted a lot I feel but did not keep a record of how many. I painted minis from Dwarfs to Imperial Guard so had a good mix.
I also want to use the painting time to improve the quality not only the output. 
For example I still find eyes tricky to paint.

Paint and catalog my terrain.
For those of you who regularly read this blog know I love terrain and I have a fair bit.. I think its time to get a spread sheet out and sort thorough all my boxes and look at what I have. 
Its also time to sort out the bits such as the MDF walkways I use for shadow War Armageddon and paint them. 
I can make a little list of things I can paint when I want a change from painting miniatures.

Get better at taking pictures and start to record videos.
I am started to sort out new equipment to try and take better photos as well as this I am starting to to look at expanding out into the world of video.. Watch this space.

Interact with the community more.
I would like to get to know more people in the community as I enjoy the interaction and chatting to people about games and finding out tips of painting and terrain builds etc.
 Hopefully this year I will have more comments left on my post on the blog and on my social media pages.
 This will hopefully be a good way to see what people like to on the blog as well.

As we are on the subject of social media if you have not seen already I have links to my Instagram and Twitter pages as well as my new Facebook page at the top of this blog page. So please do click the like or follow buttons to stay up to date with my goings on

Go to more conventions.
I want to branch out and visit more open days and expos this year.
 I am a regular visitor to Salute and last year I attend Table top Gaming Live which I hope to do again in September...I would like to see if I can also go to The UK Expo as well.

Play in a tournament or gaming day..
This would be a cool thing to do but I would need to choose a game that I can get regular games of and I would want to make sure the miniatures are fully painted of course..

So as you can see thats a lot of things to cover for the year but like last year I am going to come back and see in the next 3-4 months how I am getting on with my targets. 

So whats your plans for this year? Leave a comment below as it would be great to see your resolutions this year.

3 comments:

Riot said...

good luck with your plans.

misterc said...

I always enjoy reading New Year hobby blog posts. Good luck with your targets.

Nice looking blog as well.

Shaggy said...

@Riot Thanks Mate.

@Misterc thanks..I have been enjoying reading your blog too.