Saturday 6 October 2018

Warhammer Conquest Issue 4...Hang on wheres Issue 3?

So I visted my local newsagents a few weeks ago to pick up issue 3 but was told it did not turn up so I have issue number 4 for now and hope I can pick up issue 3 later.



Lets have a look inside...

In this issue its all about the Pox Walkers...before we get to the minis lets look at the magazine.
The magazine is laid out was we have come to expected full colour and this issue has more about the Death Guard background and some of the chapters that are in the Death Guards Ranks. It also explains what the Pox Walkers are and how they have become part of the Death Guard Army




In this issues (and I believe in issue 3) the minis and paint pot come in a cardboard box.



The box gives you a good look at what to expect inside and some nice art work of the Pox Walkers themselves.


In side you get the same clip together minis on pre coloured plastic with some Bugmans Glow paint and 6 bases.
Now as Death Guard players know 7 is Nurgles number..it would have been really fluffy to have 7 Pox Walkers but I suppose for a frame 6 is easier to produce.

So diving back into the book its shows you how to put together you new Pox Walkers as well as the paint guide which now needs all 6 paints you should have by now from issues 1-4


It also tells you to go back and use the new Bugmans Glow to paint your Space Marines faces as well. This may be a theme of going back to older minis from past issues and use the new paints you get to add more detail.

This issue also adds more to the gaming side with more melee battles and example game play with another new mission to try using the game mat from issue 2.




One thing I did notice was on the back of this issue it showed you issue 5 and 6.
Issue 5 comes with a new space marine character but issue 6 is billed as adding reinforcements to your Death Guard army which is fine but they look to be exactly the same minis form issue 2?

So for those who bought a few copies of issue 2 at £4.99 why would they buy the same minis for £7.99... Also in these issues there is no mention of any new paints.




I will hopefully be getting my hands on issue 3 but I am sure I can give a fair comment on these issues so lets review everything so far.. 

Looking at what you get in issues 1-4 as I said before in my reviews these have been great value and makes up more then the First Strike box set which is around £25.


 The magazine is easy to read and does really have the a beginner gamer in mind. It gives you enough background and gameplay to start in the world of Warhammer 40,000 with out being to complicated.
To add to the experience there is also a how to video series that accompanies these issues which guides you through the painting and game play as well.

Looking ahead to the next two issues the offer of a character mini is really good as they can be upwards of £20 but issues 6 is a bit disappointing due to a repeat in models for the Death Guard when they have others from the new Death Guard range that would have been better.
In terms of the subscription I have seen on a few chats that subscribers have still yet to receive some of their issues which is not ideal. I do hope that the publishers can sort this out as quick and as easily as possible.

Going forward in this series there is an overall saving if you total all the miniturs from the complete collection but I would be interested to see how they will split the terrain and vehicles in upcoming issues as you don't want it to take 3 issues or more to make a tank.

I myself may pick up an odd issue here and there if there is something that catches my eye if this does continue to be placed in my local newsagents.
Overall this has been a really good weekly magazine that has been fantastic value and hopefully will bring more people to the hobby.

So what do you think of Warhammer Conquest? Do you think its been good value? Are you a subscriber and having any problems or have you received all the issues so far with no problems at all?

Let me know what your thoughts are.

1 comment:

dice tales said...

I subscribed.. issue 1 and two where late.. not sure on where 3 or 4 are.. emailed the cancel the subscription but no reply..so don't know if im.subscribed or not and where issue 3 or 4 are.. I've seen them in the shops.. mildly annoyed.. but I only wanted a few for kill team doubt i would have stayed saved till end.. wad tempted by the unique on issue 5..