Wednesday 4 September 2019

War Cry: Campaign Week 1

On Saturday Night Riot, Lee, Mike 2.0 and my self arrived at Riots for the start of our War Cry campaign.



After rosters were made we set up for our first games.


In the campaign the warbands we chose are as follows.
Riot will be using a Stormcast Eternals
Mike 2.0 The Iron Golems
Lee Goblins
Myself Undead

First game Riot and I set up while Lee and Mike 2.0 battled it out.

In this game we had to control the most objectives.
The player with the most miniatures 3 inches from the objective by turn 4 controls that objective.







Well I was already in an advantageous position as I had way more miniatures then Riot but I don't move as fast.









In the end the numbers game won it for me and victory for the Undead.

I rolled on the artefact table and I also have a re roll for my leader.

Next up I faced Mike 2.0 Iron Golems.

I won the roll off and the game was set if you were the defender and have the most objectives or you have an equal amount of objectives as the after the defender wins.

I chose to defend and set up.







Again I had the numbers but the IG's hit hard.

These two had a bit of a scrap.







It was getting to the wire we both had one objective and there was just one left that needed to be contested.



Mike needed to kill one of my undead to clear a path to have more numbers on the last objective to win. Luckily I could raise a few dead to get my numbers backs up.

In the end Mike 2.0 tried to unpick the Puzzle but did not kill enough to get the objective which meant we both had one objective each and one contested.
This meant I won the game due to the scenario.

This was a very tight game and I was hanging in there for 4 turns..

I rolled on the artefacts table but got nothing but I did gain a territory allowing me an extra 50pts ( which to be honest is a little tricky to find something to fit that point amount)

The last game of the night was against Lee's Goblins who have had 2 wins and now Lee was on his first convergence.

The Rules were we needed to wipe out half of each others warband to win and theres no turn limit.
On turn 4 if we are 4 inches from the edge any miniature is dead but would not need to roll for injuries.





Lee starts to tear through my war band on the right as I try to move up but at 3 inch move its not going to be fast.
I do get some parting shots and nearly kill Lee's leader but he then runs away.



I am trying to keep things alive and do bring back a miniature to help with numbers.





I did manage to kill a sqig but with Lee's warbands speed he can move miniatures away and with high health points its hard to chew through.

In the end Lee kills half of my warbnad and wins the game.

Lee's is taking an early lead again (like path to glory) and now has two territories to his name.

Riot and Mike 2.0 slug it out but Riot wins in the end.

So a good night of gaming but theres a few things I can see need work with the game.

The campaign system for example the roster sheet you make a roster of up to 20 miniatures and up to any points value but in a game can only use 1000 points ( thats if you don't control any territories that is) but if you bought the war bands for War Cry you only have say 7/8 miniatures.

GW may have expansions in mind to help with the current warbands to help fill this but I think
its a shame you can't just buy the miniatures individually or in a blister pack for the warbands to fill the roster to what you need. Instead you need to spend £30 on another box with a leader miniature you wont be able to use. Well I suppose you could try converting it..

Most of us have been playing AOS warbands as we had the miniatures painted but for me I chose the undead as I knew I had a lot of miniatures to choose from and they are cheap points wise so more on the board.
As Riot said on his post sometimes you feel turn one can be wasted as point heavy warbands may only have one miniature in the first deployment and all you can do is really run and then it only leaves you 2 turns.

Also there is a few wording clarifications needed for some of the abilities on the cards just to avoid some confusion. I am sure a FAQ will be available soon but for the most part the main rules are easy to follow.

I do like the random terrain set up and the deployment cards but some of the scenarios can seemed a bit tailored to fast warbands or warbands that have lots of miniatures on the table.
I know there are some cards that are recommended for match play which I will have to look at. I also like the twist cards as this can change the game for good or bad.

For all these little things I am enjoying the game and looking forward to the next games as it is fast and easy to play and with the announcement of a new book Mercenaries and Monsters I am interested to see what this adds to the main game.

Whats everyones thoughts so far are you enjoying War Cry?
Has it met your expectation or has it fallen short?


1 comment:

Riot said...

As you know I'm 'meh' about the game itself. Can't fault the mini's.