Sunday 30 September 2018

Tabletop Gaming Live 2018 Part 2

After the demo at the Mantic Games stand I carried on my journey around the show as it started to hit the afternoon traffic of gamers hitting the main hall at Alexandra Palace.




Next stop was to say hello to the guys at Atlantis Miniatures and see how the Ogre Kickstarter is getting on and see some more of there great miniature range.




I reviewed their Dwarf Miniature a month or so ago and if your interested you can read that review here.

I also visited Anvil industries and had a quick chat while taking their offer of making a free mini which I will post the combination on blog later.

As the hall started to fill and get to busy Tookey and I decided to have a demo of a game I have backed on Kickstarter..
Escape the Dark Castle..
I have been going on about this game for a while to all my gaming mates and wanted Tookey to have a go.


At the show they had a display of the expansion packs to the game with a sneak peek at some of the new cards and characters.


With two other brave souls we decide to begin our escape...


We all started on 6 health for this game half what you normally would with half the amount of adventure cards..

Tookey was the Abbot, I was the Smith and both our fellow gamers were the Taylor and the Miller.
We had a good spread of Might, Wisdom and Cunning between us.
This game is billed to be very brutal due to the dice you need to roll to match the enemies and tasks you encounter...

Lets just say we ran rampant through the castle we were cunning and our dice rolls were hot!
I dont want to spoil the cards we had encountered here but we got to the boss had to roll 3 might before being able to damage the boss and we did that first time with out taking any damage and the second roll we killed the boss and made our escape...
I think the gentleman giving us the demo was really surprised at how well we did!



After the game Tookey commented on how good the game was and how quick it was to get playing. He thought it would be a good game for his family to play also.

 I was told that the expansion are designed to be added where ever you want to make custom games which sounds like it could be horrid in a good way.
I am really am looking forward to December now!

I thought next I would take a look at the other demo games and the Wild West Exodus tournament in other hall.



The game hall was packed all day.

As the day was drawing to a close I visited the Warhammer  Champions Card Game stand.


This a brand new card game based in the world of Age of Sigmar where there are faction decks for Order, Chaos, Destruction and Death with each deck has its own style of game play and strengths.
Currently there is a total of 270 cards to collected.

Now I am not a card gamer as such but I thought I would have a go.

Tookey was Destruction (Orks) and I was Chaos (Khorne)


The rules and mechanics were explained to me which took me a bit to get my head around as I am not used to this style of game.

The game starts by choosing your champions and putting them on the battle field with a random blessing card faced down.
Each player does this one by one. each card has different symbols representing different abilities and how they effect the field of battle.

Each player has 2 actions per turn which can be playing a card or using one of the cards heroic acts.
You can pass an action to pick up a new card from your card deck.
As you play through your champions will be turned anti clock wise completing their quests as its called. Once the champion has been full rotated the Champion would have completed their quest and then receives their blessing which gives them added advantages in the game.
The game continues until you have reduced your opponent to 0 health.

The game mats that we played on showed the maximum of 35 lives which are determined at the stat of the game by the green and red dots on card which can add and takeaway your life score. 
It also showed waht each symbol on the cards mean as well as a quick reference.

Tookey took to the game like duck to water and wiped me out.. (I was told I was unlucky with my card draws.. dont have much luck do I in demo games ha ha)

The mechanics of the game were interesting but for me personally its not my type of game. 
Tookey is more of a card gamer and he seemed to really enjoy it and thought the mechanics were really clever.
This game is not a living card game which means everyone has all the same cards right away you have to buy boosters and they are not faction specific so you could get a lot of cards you cant use. The idea is that you trade them with friends which builds a community but with any card game like this thats the gamble.

Theres also an app which allows you to scan your cards which gibes access to be able to play your deck virtually with other people anywhere which is an interesting idea.

At the show they had the gaming mats, health tracker coins for each order and all the core 
 faction decks and card sleeves which are all out now. 
The second wave of cards are coming soon.

If card games are your thing and you like Age of Sigmar visit.
For video demos of the game visit Warhammer Champions


Well thats it from me form Tabletop Gaming Live 2018.
I hope you enjoyed the coverage and thank you to all the people at the show for the demos and for the games chat.
See you next year!















No comments: