Wednesday 12 September 2018

Terrain Build: Oil Silos

I have been sorting through some of my terrain and had the bug to make something new for my gaming table.
Looking in my terrain box I noticed I still had a few bits to make left over from the MDF terrain from ebay.


The perticulcer kits I have left call for pringles crisp tins to be used as the main structure but as I dont eat them and I'm more into coffee and have been collecting the tins for some reason I decided to use these to build the Silo Station kit.



I first glued and punched out the main platform and rails for the top of the silo walkway.

 

I then started to make the ladder which attaches on to the end of one of the tins later on.

 

Next up was to spray paint them both with black then further away with grey then with a bit of white.


The tins were undercoated with a cheap £1 shop grey as I did not know if it would take to the metal tin.

I then sprayed them all red as a base and tried to add some neon glows but these did not work so well so went back to spraying them all red.

 

The next step I took the MDF base and covered it with my usual mix of sand and stone with some cork and spare sprue to make some rough ground.

This was painted black then with a mix of browns and greens with paint from the works.

I also used the same straw holders from my Toxic Pool Build to make some rusty pipes.

I glued all the tins and platform in place in place and added some rust effects using browns and oranges using a sponge.
To finish i used a cheap Matt Varnish spray just to seal the paint on the tins.


Once all was dry I glued down all the tins and pipes to the base and glued the main platform to the tins to finish off.



Heres some pics with the Crystal Cobras..


 

 

It did not turn out to bad at all. The kit is nice and easy to put together but the tins I used are a bit bigger then the smaller crisp tins you are supposed to use but it still works.

I have two more kits to make but I need 2 large Pringles tins for these so will have to ask around to see if anyone has some spare.



No comments: