Sunday 17 January 2021

Painting and Hobby: Motivation & The First Miniature Painted For The Year



Last year I painted a lot of miniatures and it was my best ever out put, but for some reason I have lost my hobby mojo over the past few weeks.


I can't put my finger on it. It could be due to work, the times or I am starting to miss getting out more than I think.


In any case this week I wanted to get myself motivated to start painting again and took my first steps to get my 2021 hobby underway.

The first thing I wanted to do was to have a clean work space as that always seems to help me and it's got a bit messy of late. So the first step clean my hobby area.

To start I needed to organise my paints as I have been wanting to separate all my dropper bottle paints from my Citadel paints so I can see the colours more easily.

Just before Christmas I bought two paint racks from TT Combat which only just arrived.



This was easy to build but I did have to make the holes bigger where the paint holders slot into.


     

After about 30 minutes they were done.


Now I can see all the colours much easier now.

Next up was sorting all my Citadel paints and to clear my tool and hobby brush organiser. 

From this..

To this... Much better

I don't store my main brushes in here as my main brushes are in a pot, but I uses these for terrain and gluing and it gets messy very quickly.

To finish off I added a new draw unit with a board on top to help extend my desk which gives me a lot more storage and space to spread out.

Now that was all clear I chose my first miniature to paint for the year which was from Alternative Armies. I also used this as an opportunity to try some of my Contrast paints I got just before Christmas.

After not too long the miniature was finished.





The Contrast paints were really easy to use and I was careful not to use too much as I have seen that it can pool. 
I need to experiment with undercoat colours as this miniature was undercoated grey which worked for some of the Contrast paints but I can see you need a lighter undercoat to get the best out of Guilliman Flesh and the Skeleton Horde but I will continue to experiment with them.

So there we go my first miniature painted and a nice tidy hobby area to kick start the year. 

Now on to the next..


What gets you motivated to paint? Do you have any tips?

Leave a comment below as it will be good to see your ideas and advice.


Don't forget to follow me on Instagram here and Twitter here for more hobby goings on.

 



No comments: