Saturday 2 January 2021

Painting and Hobby: 2020 A Year In Review

 

Happy New Year to you all!

I hope you had a great festive period and Santa brought you new hobby toys and supplies this year.

As it s new year I am going to have a little reflection on my hobby over 2020 as a way of looking back and seeing what I managed to accomplish.

So let's take a look.


January

This was the month where I started to sort out my hobby area by adding some extra shelves for my hobby space and got some new miniatures for Beastgrave over Christmas.



I was able to play some Warhammer Fantasy and played a mini campaign as well as a  game of Triumph and Treachery all in a day which was all organised by Riot.



Also this month I got to review some Ogres from Atlantis Minitures ( full review here) and the Bushido box from Your Model Box ( full review here)

February

This month saw more Warhammer Fantasy as I run out my Dwarfs Vs Skaven as a practice run for Riot Ville in March.



This month also saw me take a tip to Newcastle for the first time where I looked at all the hobby stores in the area while I was there.

 I also had an article printed in a new Tabletop and Music magazine Six In The Head Magazine ( you can read issue 2 at https://sixintheheadzine.com/)


This month would also see the start of my painting journey for the year as I finished a new army for Warhammer Fantasy. 

This project involved Ogres and lots of them.


The painting continued during with a Dwarf Engineer and another unit of Thunderers which where needed to complete my list for Rot Ville.



I also painted a Nurgle Wizard and an Ice Elemental for Vanguard to try out some ice effect painting.



At the end of the month I snuck in a few games of Warhammer Under Worlds Beastgrave too.



March

March's main attraction was Riot Ville Live a whole Day of Warhammer Fantasy. I rocked up with my Dwarfs and played a number of games that day.




(You can read all the battle reports here)

 Reviews this month saw the Sci Fi box (Sci-Fi) and Future War Box (Future War) for Your Model Box on the blog.


April

April saw the national lock down due to Covid 19 and gaming stopped.

During this month I decided to start work on another Warhammer Fantasy Army and one I have been wanting to do for a while A Chaos Warriors Army and the main theme would be Nurgle.


I started by painting a test unit of WOC in a Nurgle scheme to get the ball rolling. Then I sort of could not stop as I painted some Knights, A Chariot and some Nurglings and a Chaos Hero.





As I was on a roll I also got to work on Fetus, Some more Knights, Another Hero/Lord and as I just wanted to I paint a Vampire Lord from Foundry.





As well as the painting I organised a Skype game and played the Space Marine Adventure game which was actually fun.


I reviewed this game in Issue 3 of Six In The Head Magazine and you can read issue 3 here 

I also reviewed The Never Hollow range of Terrain from The XLC

The review can be viewed here



May

My WOC army grew with more miniatures added to the fold including a new BSB, Gorechariots and a Lord on horse back.



As the first BSB did not stand out I made a new one.


Not just happy with a WOC army I started another army and it was a Nurgle Daemon army..(got to keep the theme right)


I also painted some random miniatures and terrain such as this Firebelly Ogre from TT Combat, a Ghoul King that was part of a Vampire Counts kit and some creates from Gatehouse Gaming.
Oh and I built a Undead Dragon.





With all the fantasy I was painting I wanted a pallet cleanser and finally got to work on finishing my Deadzone miniatures that came in the first box set.



I was looking at solo games and at this time Mantic stepped up and gave a lot of free rules for their current game systems to play solo. 
This was for me a perfect excuse to get this box finished and hopefully convince a few people to try the game.


I got to review some resin terrain form Grabblecast which is perfect for Warhammer underworlds and D&D games.
The review is here and to see the terrain painted can be seen here.


June

In June I built more for the Nurgle Daemon army and added some Plague Drones and some miniatures from The Others board game as proxy for Nurgle Beasts.




All primed and ready for painting.



I also received the version 2 rule book for Deadzone and made some command dice as they were all out of stock.




This month I reviewed the Modern Combat box from Your Model Box which you can see here


July

Lock Down was finally lifted in the UK which means we were all ready for some games and as all of my gaming group have been painting Warhammer Fantasy army's we began a Blood In The Badlands campaign and I went with my WOC army.

Click the links for Part 1 and Part 2 of the campaign.


I also started work on painting my Nurgle Daemons.




August

Well this was a busy and a great month hobby wise.
More games in the Blood In The Badlands campaign continued and you can see Part 3 Part 4 and Part 5 battle reports by clicking the links.

More progress was made with the Nurgle Daemon army with most of the units painted and even added a few.






I also stated to paint differnt bits of terrain and miniatures too such as this Necromancer and his Skeleton crew.


Next up I painted the Cerberus miniature from Atlantis Miniatures which I thought would work well in the BITB campaign along with these skull walls and boat.




I also got round to painting some bigger terrain as I dug out a castle that I had for a while as this was intended to be used as part of the BITB campaign.


To finish off the month something amazing happened after painting up a Frodo miniature to finally finish my Fellowship from the Lord Of The Ring game my miniatures were featured on Warhammer TV of all places.



September 

The BITB continued with Part 6 and Part 7 battle reports for Blood In The Bad Lands are available by clicking the links.

This month was really all about terrain for me.
 
I first made a Undead Hill as another set to use for taking pictures miniatures.



After that a few days latter I found these snakes in the pound shop in the Halloween section and made a couple of blocking terrain pieces. 


Following on the Halloween theme I also found some cheap skulls and used these to make a fulcrum for the Warhammer campaign and thats not all while looking at the Warhammer rule book I found a picture of the old battering ram and decided to make my own version.



As I was thinking about the Warhammer campaign I also painted this Chaos summoning circle for posable buffs or as an objective during a game.


and for something differnt I painted some Dwarf Slayers and some Dwarf terrain to make a Throne room of sorts.




Finally for this month I reviewed The Wastland box from Your Model Box
which can be seen here

October

October saw the UK ban social gatherings so Part 8 and Part 9 are the last battle reports in Blood in The Bad Lands campaign and we hope to get this going again as soon as posable.

As the nights were getting colder I went on to paint my Northern Alliance Warband for Vanguard and the objectives for the game.




I really enjoyed painting all of these and again another game I hope to get a few people to try when we can play games again.

Its October and that means its Orktober and to celebrate this I got the rules and some of the terrain for Gorkamorka and got to work fixing the paper terrain and painting accessories from the Conquest magazine to make a Ork strong hold.




November

I got around to finishing painting the Grabblecast terrain that I reviewed in May and I also added some more Plaguebearers and some big center pieces to my Nurgle Daemon Army.



First I painted this Apocalypse monster from The Others Board game as a Great Unclean One/ Vortex beast but on Ebay I saw a perfectly priced model that would be better as a GUO.




I also got round to painting some more terrain that would fit in with my Gorkamorka terrain with these couple of post apocalyptic style drink dispensers.


I also had an idea to add more characters to the Ork strong hold by having a Cafe (I have a MDF Cafe to make from TT Combat for this project) and found this Ork Cook and lady that I will call Ma Grimm.


To finish off my Vanguard miniatures Ronaldo The Bard was painted. He is used as part of one of the scenarios in Vanguard.
 I also painted a Dwarf throne to fit with my Dwarf terrain that I painted back in September.



During this year I wanted to do more with War Cry  but did not get around to but as I was on Twitter I saw Red Rose Wargaming fantastic arena they made for War Cry using a Playmobil Roman Arena.

You can guess what I found... Yep one arena very cheap on line which was lucky as as they all seemed to mysteriously go out of stock about the time RRW posted their pictures.
I have heard they are going to make a video on how they made their version so I am waiting to see this before I start mine.



December

As December came around my hobby slowed down due to the holidays fast approaching so it gave me time to have a think about some projects and content I would like to make in 2021.

This month I also had a chance to get all three Warhammer Fantasy armies out and do a mini armies on parade
 (One thing I do want to do is toto make sure I have a better back ground for larger photos next year)

This was just a nice way to see my progress for each army over the year and no doubt I will be adding and possibly rebasing a few things.




Planning for 2021 I decided it was time to get some contrast paints to try in the new year and just as that arrived my Hobby Essentials book By Mel Bose (The Terrain Tutor) arrived to help give me more ideas and tips for projects in 2021.


Oh and I also got Blood Bowl..


 To finish off the year my Great Unclean One was featured on the front cover of issue 7 of Six In The Heads Birthday issue which was amazing to see.
you can read this here


So thats my 2020 hobby wise...

It has been a strange year as we all know and for me even with everything that has happened and building work at Shaggy Wargaming towers that took far too long I managed to paint a lot of miniatures this year and I even managed to nearly finish a Warhammer campaign with a new army which I hope can be picked up in 2021.

My painting this year has been helped during all of the lock downs and throughout the year large in part due to my gaming group. We have kept each other motivated by keeping in contact and sending progress pictures of our projects which I think has been a big help to all of us in some way or another.


For the blog it's been amazing to see the blog hit over 60,000 views as well as having some of my miniatures featured by Games Workshop and to have articles and pictures of my miniatures in Six In The Head Magazine this year.

This would be the point I would make some hobby resolutions but I have not made any just yet there probably will be some but I have been thinking more about the blog going forward.
  I have ideas but I need to do some more research and work out a few things before I can say and commit to them. 

 I have made a start to improving the blog by making it easier to navigate for a hopefully better experience. You may have noticed there are now links at the top of the blog to differnt types of posts which I hope will make things a little easier for you all to find what you the content you are looking for.

One area I do want to learn more about is social media and how to get better at it so I can make more engaging content.
 (Saying that you can follow me on Twitter and Instagram via the links at the top of the blog post)

All in all I want to continue pushing forward and hope you all continue to enjoy the blog.

Heres to your hobby in 2021 and don't forget if you have any hobby resolutions for this year leave a comment I would like to read them.


No comments: