Friday, 18 December 2015

Welcome To The Deadzone PT2.... Here Comes The Pain

In a box set the models are the main event for me so I was looking forward to begin building theses minis for Deadzone.

I started with the Plague faction. As I started to open the packets of minis I could see that my first inspection regarding the models needing a lot of cleaning came true. The models are made of a hard plastic a lot different from the normal GW materials I am used to.

The usual mold lines were present on them as well as some rough bits of plastic hear and there that needed snipping off.

I've Got Some Work To Do

With out any instructions it took me a little bit of time to figure out which arms fit to what model as some have pre made joints which made it a little easier to work. 
I would advise using super glue to stick these together as plastic glue did not seem to work.

On one of the models I had to repose jumping over the wall as his arm was to close to his knee.
I used some hot water and reposed the arm and fingers so it was out of the way of the way and managed to change it to a more dynamic pose by pinning the hand to the wall.


I also changed the position of the arms on the model below from facing down which made it like a Hulk Hogan muscle pose and now its more of a bezserker rage pose.

Come At Me Bro!

The Gang

Next up were the Enforcers.

Again these needed the same treatment as the Plague with cleaning of mold lines and random bits of plastic. They seemed to need a lot more of a clean up then the Plague for some reason.

These models took a while to find all the right parts to fit especially the main troops as you had two arms that fitted a gun which need to be the correct length to work. Unlike GW plastics where they tend to stick in place with glue quickly these would not stay in place. They fell off before you could pose them in a shoulder socket and there was no real clue how far apart they needed to be to fit the gun in place.

So I had no choice but had to roll out the green stuff.  I had to use this for the arm joints as well as to help attach the body to the hip joints as the plastic did not connect right so glue would not work.

Thank You Green Stuff
The rocket launcher Enforcer was another challenge as I had to attach the arms in a way that left a huge gap.  I had to fill under the arm with green stuff.

Here Come The Boys

Well it was more difficult than I thought getting these made.  I have made lots of models before but with out instructions especially in a starter set made this less straight forward then it should be. I think even if Mantic could do a PDF guide this could be a big help. It became a case of trying to fit things a couple of times and then having to referrer to box art and the rule book to try and figure out the correct components for each model. 

There May Be Trouble Ahead.
I also just put these on to the bases and found some of them did not slot into the pre made holes which again needed to have some green stuff to help stick them in place.

I don't want it all to sound negative as the models once they are made look good.

The Plague models are what I am looking forward to painting as they do have a lot of character and I'm looking forward to playing a game with them.

It was just little things that could have been done to help make things go a little more smoothly.

So I am off now to start undercoating...


No comments: