Wednesday 24 July 2019

Terrain Build: Floating Rocks

This week there was no Path To Glory so I thought I would show you how i made the floating rocks from our last game.

 The idea for the last scenario as that would be floating rocks and the warbands would be fighting on and jumping around on them.
Nothing says fantasy like fighting on flying rocks right.

Unfortunately Riot did not have the time to make these before the game so I volunteered to make them for the campaign as I never turn down an opportunity to make some terrain.

You can see the battle report they were used in here.

So I started by using some old Kingspan foam and a CD for an idea for the size of each rock.




I started to cut out 6 squares roughly the size of the cd.


After about 20 minis I had these shaped.


As I had some more foam spare I made one larger size rock that I thought could be a main focus on the game board.


After these were cut out I used my magic mix of filler, PVA, sand and brown paint which I used to coat each rock to protect them and give them a more rock like texture.


As these were drying I went on to make the bases. Raiding my garage I had an old backing board for a picture frame and began to draw and cut out the base shapes for each rocks.





Once sanded these made a good base.

Next up was  to hot glue old pens which the rocks would slide onto and support each rock on the base.


Once all the bases were made and rocks stuck on I then used PVA and a sand and small rock mixture to add texture to the main bases.


These were then painted brown and dry brushed with a cream and lighter brown and green colour.


To finish off I added some green flock from Gatehouse Games UK to the bottom bases.

The rocks I dry brushed with a green, brown and cream colour and added a lighter flock to each.

After a couple of hours all the rocks were finished.



Below is what they looked like on the gaming table.



Personally for a quick job as they were needed in a few days I think these turned out not to bad.
 I can say they held up very well and the miniatures were all fine standing on them during our game.

These were easy to make and may be a good addition to War Cry from Games workshop which is out soon or a cool addition to any Age of Sigma/Fantasy game.

What do you think?


1 comment:

Riot said...

I think they look brilliant man!!!!!