Monday 10 June 2019

Path To Glory: The Long Winding Road

Saturday saw another edition of Path To Glory.
Lee, Riot and I were ready for battle but I had a feeling that after last week I would be in for it.




Game 3
Hunt The Giant
Theres a hill in the middle of the board if we get within 6 inches the giant awakes. The aim is to deal the final blow (he has 5 wounds) and we would get 2 infamy for the kill.

We set our warbands in each corner and in the middle was a huge hill that Riot said go for the hill wink wink..


We all start shuffling up our warbands keeping an eye on each other until Lee decided to get close to the hill and wakes up the sleeping giant..




Lee charges in with one of his minions who quickly gets squashed

Lee is getting to close to me for comfort and he charges one of my beasts and quickly kills him.


Riot sits out in the corner waiting to pick off any stragglers

Lee charges the giant with one of his minions again and the same thing happens splat.


I decided to meet Lee's army and start to charge in while still keeping my eye on Riot.




I start to chew through some of Lee's men but he also starts to fight back and this week his troll is really sick and throws up a storm over my men.

Riots looks on with glee.


The giant stumbles forward and Lee's troll starts to move up.


Lee has a bit of a time getting rid of one of my warriors against his leader which in the end he kills.


Lee's troll kills one of my warriors and it starts panic all over the filed and some of my warriors and a forsaken start to flee and run into other warrior then that warrior runs...(always bring a BSB in a fantasy game!)


Riot smelling blood starts to attack my fleeing men and chews through them with ease while the giant again stumbles forward.



Its at this point I knew I was not going to be able to kill the giant but after continuing to deplete Lee's army I went for some of my objectives to kill a 3 wound model and destroy a war band..

I decided to drink my potion of fool hardiness to get an extra attack on my lord and charged in with 2 warriors thinking this might be enough to kill the troll....Wrong....My warriors failed there fear rolls and both needed a 6 to hit and my Lord did not do much but I did cause 1 wound..2 to go.

 As I start to rally some of my men from fleeing I attack Riot's beast and kill one of the two surrounding me.


Riot then moves in to the giant and tries to bring him down.


Lee kills one of the chaos warriors with his troll as he throws up but in the end the trolls dies  after being attacked by my lord and I move my lord and warrior up next to Lee's remaining models.


Riot continues to hack at the giant but the giant still stands strong.


My marauder blocking Lee's leader is eventually bested leaving Lee open to charge the giant.
Lee also decided to attack my remaining warrior with his and we both are killed in battle.


Riot eventually gets a wound on the giant.

Lee needs to make an initiative test as he is selected to be attacked by the giant and needs anything other then a 6 to stop the giants attacks..


Yep he rolled a 6...

So Lee's leader dies...

This leaves Lee's BSB in my lords sight I just need to kill him to get the destroy a warband bonus.


I charge in and my leader quickly kills his BSB.

After this looking at my heavy casualties is decided to flee.


This is all that was left...


Riot continues to hack at the giant for the next two rounds but can not kill the giant.


So after that bloody battle (Khorne will be pleased) No one won the game.
Riot latter explained that if we did kill the giant we would have rolled to see if the giant would have been part of our war band next go... No wonder Riot wanted to kill him so bad.

So after the game even though my warband was nearly wiped out I think I did well. I gained 6 more infamy for killing a warband, killing a 3 plus wound model and obviously was in a fight.

So I rolled to see who was alive first and even after using one of my infamy points one of my knights had died...



I also had the chance to have an upgrade roll on my leader and guess what I gain another wound so my leader is now on the max wounds 6!
Eye's roll from Lee and Riot were seen.

I decided to do some recruiting and went for the second table and get an ogre!!
I also gave him and extra weapon so he is 3 wounds and 4 attacks..Nice.


Game 4
Stone Circle

So we went for another game this time a 12 inch circle was made in the middle of the board and one person would be the defender and others would be the attackers.
The objective is to have the defender keep the attacks out and make us flee but if an attack has more men in the circle and makes the defender flee the attacker wins...Simple right.



We rolled off and Riot was the defender while Lee and I were on the attack.



(As I did not have an oger model I used a troll but next week I will have a mini for this)

Lee and I shuffle forward but Lee is finding it hard to get into the circle due to the narrow gaps and has to roll a dangrous terrain test which with one of his beasts he fails.



Riot comes out and starts to charge my men and begins to chew through causing panic again.

I try and go on the offensive and attack his beast and a few marauders which do eventually die.



Lee sees whats going on and stays back at the table edge.



I eventually rally my two fleeing models and attack



Lee starts to move forward and sends in his troll.



Riot starts to really wade in on my warband and at this point due to the casualties racking up I decided to flee.
After the last game I don't have enough infamy if I need to do any re rolls.






Lee and Riot continue the fight



Lee moves his Lord round the back to take on Riots forsaken and marauders



Riot gets the better of Lee's troll and starts to dig in on Lee's warband as Lee starts to use his leader to chew through a few men on the edge.



Its getting tight and Lee has some heavy casualties and decided to flee leaving Riot the winner successfully defending the circle.

After the game I only get 2 infamy and start to roll for casualties and again  lose another warrior.

Game 5
Surprise Attack

Riot offered to make tea while Lee and I played the next game.
One player would be the attacker and the other a defender.
The defender will have all his models on the table 8 inches apart like they are searching for something and sets up first.
The attacker will set up on any table edge and can't attack or charge first turn.

We rolled and I was attacking and Lee was defending.



I set up and then make my move.



Lee starts to move his models into potions and charges in....He starts to run through my warband like a warband possessed I have never rolled so many ones then in the past two games.



I try and go for his troll as this will help with an infamy bonus. Well that was the plan. Again the troll throw sup and kills my beast and a warrior but I do mange to get a wound on him.

My warband just don't want it and can't hit for toffee and start to dwindle in numbers as my oger and warriors attack Lee's lord but the warriors fail their fear rolls and have to find a 6 to hit which they don't.

Around the board Lees warband start to rally and put my warband to the sword.



Looking at my numbers I decided to flee leaving Lee the winner.

I roll for casualties and all are ok thankfully and I again get to roll on the leader board and get some plague bearers to join the next fight.
I am going to have to raid my grey shame (thats what Riot calls his unpainted minis) to see what I can use but I have a good idea what to use..

Lee how ever has scored big as my warband has the highest infamy and he won the game. Lee gets s bonus on his leader plus he gets two more trolls after rolling on recruitment table...
Riot and I don't believe it..

All in all it was a mix bag game wise this week as even though I did not win any games I managed to upgrade my lord to 6 wounds and get some plague bearers for the next game..

The down side is I lost two warriors and I had 7 which was very thematic but in reflection in terms of how many times my warband died in the first place it was not bad.

Another great night in this path to glory campaign and I am really enjoying the carnage.
Thanks again to Riot for hosting and Lee for playing.

The Paths hotting up!

1 comment:

Riot said...

A top night of gaming.